Intellectual Property & Data Protection
Intellectual Property & Data Protection
TLF provides wide-ranging legal services in the areas of intellectual property registration, protection, exploitation, and litigation. Trade and service marks, patents, industrial designs, plant varieties, integrated circuits, and copyright
TLF's intellectual property professionals understand that brands and trademarks are at the core of any business. As a result, such organizations must implement effective and proactive trademark clearance and registration strategy to ensure that their brands are appropriately protected.
To achieve this, TLF provides the following services: offering trademark advice, registration, maintenance and renewal of trademarks in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and GCC Countries, auditing trademark portfolio, preparation, filing and prosecution of new trademark applications and responses, trademark docketing, trademark conflict resolution, trademark clearance searches and opinion, trademark audits and counselling, SFDA advisory and enforcement, IP Arbitration, carrying out due diligence of Intellectual Property, trademark acquisition, handling trademark licensing and assignment agreements, carrying out trademark investigations, handling trademark litigations at the office of Saudi Authority for Intellectual Property.
Our IP specialists advise, negotiate and draft agreements such as:
- Confidentiality agreement
- Research and development contract
- Exclusive or non-exclusive licence agreement
- Sale of intangible asset contract
- Transfer of know-how contract
- Coexistence agreement
- Joint building ownership agreement
- As well as all aspects of IP law on purchase contracts, joint ventures etc.
TLF recent work include;
- Technology License Agreements. TLF drafts and negotiates technology license agreements that include the following provisions: scope of license, confidentiality, payment, warranty, termination, and other provisions that strike a reasonable balance between preserving the licensor's control over its intellectual property and allowing the licensee to practice the licensed technology.
- Patent License Agreements. TLF drafted and negotiated patent license agreements that include the following provisions: a description of the licensed patents, a description of the licensed products, and scope of license, payment, warranty, termination, and other provisions that strike a reasonable balance similar to the one described above.
- Patent Assignment Agreements. TLF draft and advised on patent assignment agreements that include: a listing or definition of the patents to be assigned - on a worldwide basis, a description of the rights licensed from the assignee back to the assignor, and payment, warranty, termination, and other provisions that strike a reasonable balance between the assignee's assumption of title and the assignor's license back to continue its business under the assigned patents.
- TLS drafted a complex set of agreements to effectuate the transaction, which included patent assignment, license back, realty sublease, transfer of employees, security agreements and other provisions used in transactions of this sort.
- TLF drafted a multifaceted patent assignment agreement under which the client received a license back as well as an ongoing revenue stream in the form of contingent instalment payments. The agreement included assignment-back provisions in the event the other party defaulted, including a security interest to buttress the assignment-back provisions.
- To resolve a dispute involving patent ownership between a TLF client and another Chines company, we helped structure an arrangement where the Chines Company agreed to assign the patent to our client.
TLF also file IP infringement-related complaints and complex litigation matters; whether related to trademarks or copyright infringement.
Laws - Regulations - Rules & Policies
- Executive Regulations of Trade Names Law - Saudi Arabia
- Implementing Regulation of Copyright Law - Saudi Arabia
- Implementing Regulations of The Commercial Data Law - Saudi Arabia
- Implementing Regulations of the Law of Patents, Layout Designs of Integrated Circuits, Plant Varieties and Industrial Designs - Saudi Arabia
- Implementing Regulations of the Trade Names Law - Saudi Arabia
- Implementing Regulations of Trademarks Law - Saudi Arabia
- Regulations for the Protection of Confidential Commercial Information - Saudi Arabia